-->
Searching...
Thursday, December 20, 2012
10:40 PM

Making Sugar Waxing...the experience

Due to some off time from work and nothing else to do, I decided to try waxing for a change instead of shaving. I remembered a friend telling me how easy making sugar was is but never actually try it.

Googling seems to help with the recipe but cooking it to the right consistency was the real problem. My first batch of sugar wax need to be thrown out because once it starts to harden it hardens like concrete. The problem with that batch was I overcooked it. Some video on YouTube suggest you cooked it until you get honey like consistency. However if you do that, the moment you take it of the stove the sugar is still cooking and you end up with hard candy instead of flowing honey. I'm not sure substituting lemon juice with vinegar was also the cause for the hard sugar.

I had to soak my glass  jar with water for 2 days just to clean it up.

So, after a few weeks, I decided to try for another recipe and this time to cook it in less time. Using 2 cups of sugar, 1/4 lemon juice and 1/4 water, I cooked it over low heat.

With a bowl of cold water beside the stove I tried testing the consistency by dripping a bit of the sugar inside the bowl and testing the texture with my finger. I found out that once the sugar started to turn yellowish, the consistency of the sugar drops starts to feel sticky like toffee, I tried sticking it the my skin and once it start sticking ( the sugar drops that has been cool of with water, don't try sticking the hot sugar, it will burn you badly). I took the sugar off the heat once I get that toffee sticky sugar.   It might feel a bit runny at first but when you keep stirring it off the heat, it will starts to get to the honey like consistency.

Best part, even after it get cold, it won't harden into candy, it is still malleable to shape with you hands and easy to clean of the cotton strip by just soaking in hot water.

0 comments:

 
Back to top!