-->
Searching...
Thursday, June 05, 2008
3:09 PM

My mom and Technology

Technological progress has merely provided us with more efficient means for going backwards. ~Aldous Huxley

My mom was born in the late 50's( very late 50's) in the era where things like cars, motorcycle, telephone and even television is a scarce comodity. Only the rich can afford it.It was considered a luxury to have all those things.A far cry from the technology era we live today where things like internet and handphone is no longer considered as luxury items but a necessity.

Because of that until today she is still having trouble adapting to the technology changes.Well...I believe most our fathers and mothers(those 50's and 60's babies) have the same trouble. For them handphone is a telephone without the wire. The purpose is only to call other people or to receive them. You can throw ten other functions like digital camera, video conferencing,web browsing etc yet at the end of the day, the only thing they will use is making a calling or receiving it.My father fared slightly better because he knows how to SMS people (but little button on the phone give him headache since he is far-sighted), but mom had to have her little assistant to do it (and the little minions happens to love doing it...right guys?-I know they will be reading this)

I guess when you reach certain age, coping with the new technology didn't appeal to you anymore. You have more urgent and more worthy matters at hand than keeping with the latest 3G technology or the latest handphone model in the market.(Personally I don't think I know either).

Not knowing how to use the technology isn't a bad thing, it just show how human you are. Not everyone knows everthing.(Only God holds that position) It's a good thing to know how to use new things to help you but it's another to become slave to such notion. I knew people who were willing to empty their pocket to the extend of even borrow money from other people just to get their hands on the newest handphone. A little stupid if I must say. Come on how many functions do you think you can use. I'm a firm believer in the saying that nothing that was created with more than one function can function well..except... syampoo(the one with conditioner). It's like getting a new toy...you poke, you turn, you play with it for a while because its still new but after sometimes you will get bored and at the end of the day you will end up only making and receiving calls and SMS.

Well who cares if if my mom doesn't know how to SMS me back, she still the meanest cook, she still take care of me when I'm sick and love me unconditionally. She still holds the thrown in my heart even though she hate the keyboard...hehehe

A mother is a person who seeing there are only four pieces of pie for five people, promptly announces she never did care for pie. ~Tenneva Jordan

0 comments:

 
Back to top!