-->
Searching...
Friday, June 13, 2008

Perspecta

When it comes to the future, there are three kinds of people: those who let it happen, those who make it happen, and those who wonder what happened- Robert Coulier

Watched CSI New York the other day, there's a scene where the coroner Syd (if I'm not mistaken) is viewing the victim skull through this globe like machine that render 3D hologram image and I was intrigued. (I didn't sat in Biomedical Engineering class for 4 years for naught, although I'm not employed in that line I'm still finding myself eager to read about new medical technology. It has become a habit I guess, we used to visits hospitals and do a little training there, and it always made me wonder about things, about the great creation of human being by God, the limits of human brain and ideas. My favourite phrases would be 'Wow! who could have thought of that'. The funny thing is...I was never intrigued to see the patient, in fact I kind of abhor it, but I like to see the machine hooked-up to that person.)

Back to 3D spatial display machine, it really existed. It wasn't like the 3D hologram face rendering machine on Bones. Well the technology existed, it was used in oil drilling or pipes scanning, (I'm not sure but someting like that)but the actual software to render face or situation like the one you see on the show is not.

The 3D hologram globe is called Perspecta Display 1.9, developed by Actuality Medical. It renders 3D floating hologram images and can be view from all angle. ( it reminds me of Star Trek, I use to love that show. Maybe one day we will be able to produce all those imaginative invention on the show)


Don't get it wrong, it's a display technology, not the actual mechanism of medical scanning. So in other words in can be use like the computer monitor. Only instead of viewing just viewing 2D images, you can view it from 360 degrees angle. Hook it up with a CT Scan or MRI, you've get yourself a brilliant view of human anatomy.

Anyway the machine has long way to go, you can't even buy it yet. Right now it cannot replace to traditional monitor, but who knows one day you will be able to render a full human 3D hologram with all its intricate details and pin-point exactly what is wrong with a person.

Can you imagine doctors in the future sitting around a round glass globe discussing and trying to figure out what is wrong with a person.

(wait....doesn't that scene reminds you of a bunch of sorcerers trying to cast a spell around a vaporating big pot...or a bunch of foreseers or fortune tellers trying to figure out the future by seeing a crystal globe...hehehe). Ahh well...like a brilliant man once said 'Your past will shape your future'.

When it comes to the future, there are three kinds of people: those who let it happen, those who make it happen, and those who wonder what happened -John M Richarson

0 comments:

 
Back to top!