-->
Searching...
Monday, July 07, 2008
1:37 PM

Nicknames

Nicknames stick to people, and the most ridiculous are the most adhesive. ~Thomas C. Haliburton

Surf through Friendster yesterday (since I found myself twidling thumbs doing nothing in particular and the local news were full with 'I know , you don't, I say, he say' full of crap political news) I end up twidling fingers on keyboard instead, surfing my friend's profile. Found a few long lost friend in there.


It always amazes me how some people can have thousands of friends. (well I guess it goes with the saying 'berkawan biar seribu'). Anyway it's not the friends I' m going to talk about, but their nicknames.


I know nickname is somehow a person personality, their identity, it's okay if it is what people been calling you. How people know you but don't you think it is outright outrageous to put your nickname as simply 'Aku' there. aku who? Do people suppose to know you instanly just by looking since you are so famous you decided to drop all name and nicknames and just simply decided 'Aku' is more suave and well known. (ohh...it certainly is well knows since there about 50 others 'Aku' there with different typo).

I really don't know what were they thinking but there are a few conclusion you can derived from the 'aku' nickname. First it is really their name, (dad got a bit confused during registration or decided to be original and name his child 'Aku'). Second he thinks 'aku' sound nice and simple. Thirdly...he hates being on Friendster but since most of his friends invited him in, he opens an account but don't want other people to find him, only closest friend who knows him will know the real 'aku'. Lastly the person was downright lazy, don't even want to use a little bit of the brain up there and decided 'aku' serve all. Or maybe they believe what Shakepeare wrote 'What's in a name? That which we call a rose, By any other name would smell as sweet'.

It's not the name that matter but the essence of the person - Me

0 comments:

 
Back to top!