-->
Searching...
Friday, May 16, 2008
12:42 PM

Behind all great people...there's a teacher.

If a doctor, lawyer, or dentist had 40 people in his office at one time, all of whom had different needs, and some of whom didn't want to be there and were causing trouble, and the doctor, lawyer, or dentist, without assistance, had to treat them all with professional excellence for nine months, then he might have some conception of the classroom teacher's job. -Donald D. Quinn

It's teacher's day! A day dedicated to all the teachers, lecturers and mothers if I may say so because our mother is the very first teacher we had and we still refers to in time when books and internet don't seems to be giving answers.

The things I remember about my teachers...hmm let me see, I don't recall much about my kindergarden years. I had two teachers if I'm not mistaken. Don't ask me to tell you their names because I just don't remember.They always give the kids some sweets to take home by the end of the day. There seems to be a lot of singing activity, and yeah I remembered learning how to write the alphabets, and entering colouring competition. I lost though, not very good in the artistic venture.

I was a sweet, demure, law abiding kid by the time I entered primary...hehehe. I was quite tall for my age so I always get to stand at the back of the line or while sitting in the class. My teachers seems to like me because I don't gave much trouble, I remembered my alphabets from kindergarden and got good marks in tests. To tell you the truth I didn't even know it was a test, all I know is my mom telling me to try to get all the answers right and I tried achieving that. The concept of exam never entered my brain until I entered standard 3, then I know what the jitters was all about.

Some teachers that I still remember from my primary years was Cikgu Yusof...he has one of the best penmanship I ever come across, and he likes to tell story. Then there was Cikgu Zulkafly, he love story-telling too always telling us to think creatively. I read a few years ago he was elected as 'Tokoh Hari Guru'. Cikgu Fatimah who thougt me how to spell and do simple arithmetics. Mr Jegathesan (he always said his name was the same as the national sprinter..but at that time I'm not a very big sports fan...I don't even know we had other teams other than badminton). He thought us English and there are a few others whom dedication to education have shape some of us to become a better person.

Language barrier never seems to stops some teachers from teaching. I know this from my experience at a Jordanian school. One particular had the patient to sit through hearing me mumble an Arabic poems and still gave me marks for the horrendous redention.

I take my hats off to some of my secondary school teacher for being brave and couragous enough to teach some of the most undicipline students ever. They never seems to give-up despite all the pranks, uncorperative parents and totally nefarious behaviour by some students. Some of them are still dedicating their lives trying to make a better person out of their students.

Some that will forever be remembered my me... Ustazah Arifah, Mr. Toh, Puan Wan Lijah, Puan Sharifah, Puan Hamizon, Mrs Saw and others that have their face engraved but their names just eluded me....sorry.

Not forgetting all my lecturer's in matiriculation college and all the wonderful lecturers in Biomedical Engineering Department of University Malaya.


A Teacher for All Seasons

A teacher is like Spring,
Who nurtures new green sprouts,
Encourages and leads them,
Whenever they have doubts.

A teacher is like Summer,
Whose sunny temperament
Makes studying a pleasure,
Preventing discontent.

A teacher is like Fall,
With methods crisp and clear,
Lessons of bright colors
And a happy atmosphere.

A teacher is like Winter,
While it’s snowing hard outside,
Keeping students comfortable,
As a warm and helpful guide.

Teacher, you do all these things,
With a pleasant attitude;
You’re a teacher for all seasons,
And you have my gratitude!

Poem by:Joanna Fuchs

The dream begins with a teacher who believes in you, who tugs and pushes and leads you to the next plateau, sometimes poking you with a sharp stick called "truth." -Dan Rather

0 comments:

 
Back to top!